Saturday, January 29, 2011

Testing the taste buds

This is my setup. Really basic, but looks really cluttered. It's the only place in the house with enough table space for me to spread, access to a decently stable internet connection, and within reach of the heater!


Some relatives took me to Carrefour yesterday afternoon, and I went on a shopping spree buying things like shampoo, toothpaste, frozen dumplings, snacks, etc. This bag of hot and sour fish soup flavor Lay's potato chips came highly recommended, but it's actually not that good. Guess my taste buds have yet to adapt to some of the local flavors. I heard that in China, KFC outperforms every other foreign fast food chain, McDonald's included. Wonder what the Chinese would do after watching Food, Inc. Probably just shrug and continue living their lives...


"Intense & Stimulating?" I think not...

Couldn't believe my eyes when I saw Shin Ramyun at the market. My favorite brand, but in shrimp flavor! Actually, not as good as the spicy one that I normally have.


I've reached a conclusion with regards to food. Eat out more often. It's cheap, it's probably not that healthy, but it's definitely delicious! I don't even know what to call these in English, but they're 生煎包 and they're great. I used to think the ones at Bird's Nest on Norwalk in Cerritos were pretty good, but these (from 小陽生煎) pretty much blow them out of the water. And they're about $0.20 cents each. $2.00 fills you up real good.

7 comments:

  1. My favorite ramen brand is MAMA!

    ReplyDelete
  2. great photos, guh! Dude, are you still putting pics on your other blog?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I'm just going to stick with this one. I was out walking for about 3 hours this morning and just got back. My fingers are like frozen solid. They don't move well... I'm going to go run them under some hot water.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dude! How do you get that blur effect on your photos?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Chaiger!!! It was taken with a Korean iPhone app called "Pudding Camera."

    ReplyDelete
  6. China sounds like an adventure so far and you haven't even started work yet. You should find a local hole in the wall and try some legit Shanghanese food. By the way, my in laws say that if you ever want to head down to Guangzhou youre more than welcome to go.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's very generous of them. I'll probably take them up on that offer after I'm settled. I gotta get in like XX with the locals before they'll take me to the truly authentic places.

    ReplyDelete