Sunday, January 30, 2011

Out and about

Rather than risk a short circuit by using the dryer, I hang my freshly-laundered clothes on the balcony. I'm on YongJia Road, right where MaoMing South Road intersects. It's a pretty decent location. Subway lines 1 and 10 are about a ten minute walk away. The French Concession is roughly 5 minutes. And XinTianDi is about 15. A decent view to match too. They're building a new performing arts center right across the street.


The streets out in front are usually pretty packed with pedestrians, bikers, and drivers. It looks slightly deserted now because of Chinese new year. Most out-of-town folks have gone home to spend it with their families.


I'd mentioned the cold before. Case in points: 1) Gathering my dried clothes this morning, I nearly slipped due to the icy balcony floor. 2) I wear a sweater and a vest (with the heater on) inside the house. And 3) For those who can't bear it, motorbikes come with optional wool mittens! Woot! Woot!


A taxi to work would run me about $4.00. Comparatively, it's $0.50 cents to take the subway. The closest stop is South ShanXi Road Station. One stop west is the Shanghai Library station. I ventured out there today to get some exercise and got lost walking home. This ugly brick of a building is the Shanghai Public Library.


And this is where people get their cars fixed. The red words say "auto repair shop," but really, it's just a black sign leaning against a telephone pole in some alley. Innovative advertising?


After that long walk, I treated myself to some pork and corn dumplings with hot sauce. This is my little nook of a kitchen. The gas stove doesn't light itself, so I light a match and hold it to the gas hoping I don't end up a pile of ashes each time I have to cook.



Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment