Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Slummin' round town during CNY

The World Expo 2010 held in Shanghai officially ended back in October of last year, but some of the permanent structures still remain. In fact, the Chinese exhibit will continue to run all the way until May of this year. I took the subway out to Pudong and got off at YaoHua Road station just to walk around and take some pictures.



I didn't actually go in that day because I'd only brought my sunglasses. From what I'm told, it was crazy crowded with lines up to 8 hours for a single exhibit. As you can see, it's pretty much cleared out now.

Here's a dude hawking yams on a street corner. I've been warned to stay way from the street-side vendors.


He's got a tough job. The entire country of China basically shuts down for an entire week during Chinese New Year. That means cabs are hard to hail, less people walking the streets, shops close early or don't open at all, and the cost of massages, haircuts, and just about anything you can think of basically doubles.

And, Betty, I've got one of these too.


Know what does stay open though, is coffee shops. This 85˚C is 24-hours. The business is a far cry from the one in Irvine, but the iced sea-salt coffee is just as good!


I'm a big fan of bamboo. Something very graceful about them, and soothing for me to look at. Sort of the Central Park of Shanghai, Century Park is home to various British, Japanese, and Chinese gardening styles. Normal ticket prices are 10RMB, but of course 20RMB this week due to CNY.


The park is well known for three very different reasons: 1) Lovers go there to make out, 2) families take kids there for bike and boat riding, and 3) businessmen go there to close deals. Go figure...


It's Chinese New Years Eve tonight. I got to have dinner with my 2nd aunt (on my father's side) and her family. A good bunch of people. Many people in my family consider this aunt to be an evil witch. Fact is, she kind of looks like one. But she's not bad, just kind of likes to pry and gossip a bit too much.


The food was decent, but the service sucked. The restaurant was packed to the roof, and there weren't nearly enough waiters around.


Sesame oil soaked pork skin appetizers.


River shrimp with vinegar.


Monster clams with rice noodles and garlic. HEAVY garlic.

Midnight is nearing, and it sounds like a cannon going off every millisecond here in Shanghai. The sky is just as bright, if not brighter than, Vegas.

Here's a view from my balcony of what's going on.


Oh yeah, got myself a little Chinese New Years present. Oh yeahhhhhhhhh!


HAPPY CHINESE NEW YEAR EVERYONE!

2 comments:

  1. dude that's the watch I wanted for the longest time. I love the boat picture - and you know, some street vendors sell weird stuff, but the yam guys, they're okay.

    ReplyDelete
  2. omg. have a yam for me :) thanks!! *and happy new year ho!!

    ReplyDelete